Master of Lore is a blog about the themes and lore of J.R.R. Tolkien through the lens of Fantasy Flight’s The Lord of the Rings Living Card Game. I am a huge fan of both Tolkien’s books and FFG’s game and want to use the cards as an opportunity to deepen my knowledge of Tolkien’s work to enrich my gameplay. Please read my first article “Greeting and Goals from Master of Lore” for a more complete introduction to my blog and intention! Then look forward to my articles (hopefully at least once a month) which will seek to enhance the “aesthetic and philosophical significance” of Tolkien’s work by featuring an original high resolution scan of one card and examining its theme in three sections.
1. EXPLORE THE LEGEND
• Literary analysis of Tolkien’s primary texts upon which the featured card is based
2. SHOWCASE THE ARTWORK
• Fantasy Flight card artist’s original work, biography, and portfolio
• Other amateur and professional work featuring the same aspect of Tolkien’s world
3. DISCUSS THE CARDS
• Evaluation of card’s stats, abilities, and text with regard to Tolkien’s legendarium
• Suggestions and original snapshots of thematic play opportunities
• Customized cards (from time to time) designed for greater thematic effect
Thanks for joining me on this journey through Tolkien’s tales and the LOTR LCG and enjoy the blog!